Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Bullet shell casing wind chime

 So, I come from a "Wild West" republican family. And we love guns, and shooting things, and sometimes eating those things that we have shot. (Elk is a very salty meat, by the way)

Anyway, my dad, little brother and I go shooting down at an old quarry every now and then, and my dad re-loads the spent shell casings of the bullets-he says each shell can be used about 10 times.

So, we collect the spent casings of a certain calibre, and I noticed that the casings made a lovely tinkling noise. I decided to use the casings
 that my dad doesn't reload - 22 calibre.

The smallest ones are 22's and the bigger ones are made of steel, which my dad doesn't like to use either. So I collected a bunch, cleaned them up and used fishing line to tie them to a wooden dowel.
 It took me about two hours, and then about another 30 minutes after they decided to lose balance and slide off...making have to redo the whole right half. They got all tangled, so I had to cut off and retie 14 shells! Ugh!

 Up-close, but kind of blurry.
 Action shot! Outside! You can't really see the shell casings, but you can see a bit of my apple tree.
A slightly better view? (not really. I'm not a photographer.)

No comments:

Post a Comment